Recognition of previous education
If you have education on the master level from another institution, you may apply for recognition of this education as part of your master's degree at NHH. Both Norwegian and foreign education may be recognized. Please note that only specific recognition may be granted.
1 September in the Autumn semester
1 February in the Spring semester
How to apply
Please note that we use Studentweb for communication related to your application.
We encourage early submission of applications, preferably in the first semester of your studies. It is not possible to apply for recognition before you start your studies at NHH.
- Transcript of records
Your application(s) must include an official transcript of records of the course(s) that you want recognized, stamped and signed by your university/university college. Please note that print screens from Internet portal sites like, for instance, the StudentWeb, will not be accepted.
Previous education from Norway?
NHH receives your results from most educational institutions, and you do not have to upload a grades transcript. However, if you have results from BI Norwegian Business School, you must upload a transcript with digital signature or physical stamp and signature.
- Course descriptions
Your application must include an official course description of the course you want recognized; either a PDF file or a direct link to the web page of the university/university college in question. The course description should include the course curriculum and preferably also the course’s outline/syllabus. Please note that the date of the course description must correspond with the semester you took the course.
Please note that only PDF files may be uploaded to the application form. Other formats and files containing “+”, “/”, “?” or similar symbols may not be opened by the document viewer. If you need to upload additional documentation, log into Studentweb following the link above and find your application.
In order to prevent a delayed reply to your application, please make sure that it is complete.
Which courses may be recognized?
In order for a course to be recognized as part of your master's degree at NHH, it must meet three requirements:
- The number of ECTS credits must be equivalent to the relevant NHH course (the most common course size at NHH is 7,5 ECTS).
- The course must be on the master level.
- The content of the course must correspond to the relevant NHH course in terms of learning outcomes.
The application process
- You must submit one application per NHH-course you want exempted. You may combine several external courses in the same application.
- Please be aware that one external course, regardless of the number of credits, may only be recognized as one NHH course. If you use the same external course in several applications, it will delay the application process.
- If additional documentation is needed, we will contact you. You will receive a notification by email to log into Studentweb, where you can read the message, reply and upload any extra documents.
- If you apply for exemption of a course that is taught in the application semester, please do the following:
- Register for the course and for the exam in the course you apply to have exempted.
- Register for the course and for the exam in the course you would like to replace it with. It may take time to receive the reply, and in case your application is rejected, you must be prepared to take the exam in the course you applied to have exempted.
Answer to the application
In most cases, you will receive a reply within a month after the application deadline. If an academic assessment of your application is required, the processing may take longer than a month. The reply will be sent to your digital mailbox or registered e-mail address.
Please remember to withdraw from the examination as soon as you have been granted recognition of an external course. If the deadline for withdrawal has passed, please contact the admissions office for help to withdraw: email@example.com.
Courses that are recognized as part of your master degree will not appear on a preliminary transcript of records from NHH. However, on your final diploma, the course will appear as “recognized”. To document the grade in the course to an employer, etc., you must include your original transcript of grades from the university/university college where the course was taken.