STR452 Strategy with Finance
Spring 2019Autumn 2019
-This course is a strategy course that will examine the intersection of strategy and finance. The core issues in Strategy is to understand performance differences between firms, and variation in the persistence of performance differences. A core issue in Finance is to understand how firms finance their operations and investments - including those responsible for creating superior or inferior performance. From this it follows that the complementarity between strategy and finance is potentially great.
Unfortunately then, strategists typically have insufficient understanding of finance, and finance specialists typically have insufficient understanding of strategy. In strategy there is a tendency to brush aside finance and financial resources as strategically uninteresting, because financial markets are considered to be too efficient to have much potential to explain performance differences. Conversely, in finance, there is unusually no deep understanding of how performance differences are created, maintained and destroyed.
This course aims to exploit the complementarity between strategy and finance, seen from the strategy side. The key themes are I) the creation and erosion of competitive advantage II) boundaries of the firm (e.g. diversification, M&As, alliances, etc.) III) Competitive dynamics (selection processes, technological- and financial shocks, etc). On each of these classic strategy topics we will add relevant insights from finance to the insights from strategy, and examine interaction between the two.
Topics include (but are not limited to):
- Factor market imperfections
- Capital market imperfections
- R&D and Innovation
- Organizational- and human capital
- M&A's, diversification and vertical integration, alliances
- Firm selection and evolutionary economics
- Economic- and financial shocks
- Technological shocks
Knowledge - the candidate
- Is able to understand the link between imperfect factor markets and competitive advantage
- Is able to understand the link between imperfections in financial markets and product market competition
- Knows how different resources (R&D, human-, organizational- and physical capita) are subject to different levels of adjustment costs and financing frictions
- Understands the link between strategy and financial markets in the face of business cycle- and technological shocks
- Is able to analyze practical business problems (cases) where finance and strategy interacts
- Can analyze how strategy and finance matters for determining the boundaries of the firm (M&As, diversification, vertical integration, alliances etc.)
- Can analyze how strategy and finance interact in entrepreneurship
- Can identify the crucial aspects of a business problem that crosses disciplines
- Can convey the key tradeoffs the problem presents
- Can formulate and recommend a sound solution
Lectures, classroom participation, case discussions
Requirements for course approval
Two course papers (approved/not approved)
Final exam, comprising of a 4 hour written school exam. The exam will be given in English and can be written in English or Norwegian.
Grading scale A - F.
A compendium of articles will be made available
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Spring. Offered spring 2019.
Lasse B. Lien and Eirik Sjåholm Knudsen, Department of Strategy and Management