Product Development and Design

MBM428 Product Development and Design

  • Topics

    Topics

    Because of rapid changes in technology, competitors positioning, and consumers´ preferences, continuous product development and innovation is a critical factor for sustainable competitive advantages. Also, consumers are increasingly aware of the self expressive elements of products, making visual design (product form and aesthetics) an important factor for market success. Examples of topics covered are product development processes, product development teams, management of product development, product platforms and -modules, visual design, open innovation and co-creation, and green innovation.

     

    Main themes:

    • Product development processes
    • Success factors for product development teams
    • Product platforms and -modules
    • Management of product development processes
    • Visual design (Product form and aesthetics)
    • Open innovation and co-creation
    • Green innovation and design

     

    the course also has a particular focus om product development as a part of a business model innovation logic.

  • Learning outcome

    Learning outcome

    The students will develop an understanding of critical factors influencing the effectiveness and efficiency of product development and design.

     

    After completing the course, students will:

    1. Be familiar with perspectives/theories on product development processes.

    2. Be able to use these theories to develop strategies for product development and design.

    3. Be more competent in writing a course paper.

    4. Be more competent in group work.

    5. Be more confident in making presentations.

  • Teaching

    Teaching

    Lectures: Only a few traditional lectures will be held.

    Itslearning lectures: Most of the course will be itslearning lectures. A typical itslearning lecture means that the students read a few articles on a topic. In addition, full text lecture notes will be available to clarify and explain the main topics in the articles. Also, relevant videos and/or links to websites will be available for the students to illustrate and complement the articles and lecture notes.

    Course paper: You will be working on the course paper throughout the course. The course paper will be supervised and the groups will get feed-back three times on the course paper during the course.

    Presentation for expert panel: At the end of the course each of the groups should present their course paper. An expert panel will participate and evaluate and give feedback to the presentation of each of the groups.

    The course starts with a plenary lecture to give an overview of the course and how we will work. Groups will be formed in lecture 1 and 2. A special (social) session to form the groups will be held in lecture 2. A lot of the work in the course will be done in the groups.

    As can be seen, this course has a somewhat alternative pedagogical approach. It has a focus on guidance and supervision of students work rather than traditional lecturing.

  • Required prerequisites

    Required prerequisites

    None.

  • Requirements for course approval

    Requirements for course approval

    Each of the students has to participate actively in a group. Also, there will be smaller assignments during the course that the individual participants or the groups will have to hand in. These tasks will be graded accepted/not accepted. These tasks have to be accepted to get a course approval.

  • Assessment

    Assessment

    Course paper (counting 40 percent of total grade); Presentation (counting 10 percent of total grade); Individual exam - 3 hour (counting 50 percent of total grade). One aggregated grade (A-F) will be given for the course paper and the presentation.

    In order to retake the exam you should register for MBM428EKS or MBM428OPPG. Please note that this only applies of you have taken the course before.

  • Grading Scale

    Grading Scale

    Grading scale A - F.

  • Computer tools

    Computer tools

    None.

  • Semester

    Semester

    Spring

  • Literature

    Literature

    Selected articles.

Overview

ECTS Credits
7.5
Teaching language
English
Semester
Spring

Course responsible

Herbjørn Nysveen, Department of strategy and management.