BUS429 Pricing Analytics and Revenue Management
The content of this course has two main elements:
It discusses the main principles of pricing and revenue management:
- Understand it as a corporate process.
- Review the economic principles of pricing.
- Understand the key role of price differentiation (segmentation).
- Learn to price when supply is constrained.
It discusses revenue management as one of the major applications.
This course provides students with the tools to understand the tactical function of pricing and revenue optimization. Specifically, in this course the students will learn how to use management science analytical techniques to set prices in complex and dynamic environments.
After completing this course, students:
- Understand the tactic role of pricing and revenue optimization within a strategic pricing plan in relevant business contexts.
- Understand the economics foundation of pricing theory.
- Understand the conditions for the application of revenue management.
- Have an overview of the industries where pricing and revenue optimization has provided competitive advantages.
- Are able to identify potential applications of pricing and revenue management in new industries.
- Are able to use analytical tools to model real-world pricing decision-making processes.
- Are able to implement pricing solutions.
- Are capable to write reports to communicate their findings clearly and concisely, and in a rigorous form to provide business insights to diverse audiences
Lectures, computer workshops, online zoom sessions, team project.
Elementary Statistics, Probability, and Optimization.
Requirements for course approval
The three written home-works must be submitted by their respective deadlines in order to hand in the final written project.
Three written home-works, in groups of two students (or one student), where the students will solve specific questions related to the course content (50%).
Final term paper (50%) - in groups of two students (or one student).
Homework 1 will be given to the students at the end of week 3 of the semester and they have to return the answers at the end of week 4.
Homework 2 will be given to the students at the end of week 6 of the semester and they have to return the answers at the end of week 7.
Homework 3 will be given to the students at the end of week 9 of the semester and they have to return the answers at the end of week 10.
All elements have to be taken in the same semester.
A - F.
MS Excel, python or R.
Phillips, R. (2005) Pricing and Revenue Optimization. Stanford University Press.
Tudor, B. and Ferguson, M. (2013) Segmentation, Revenue Management and Pricing Analytics. Routledge.
Gallego, G. and Topaloglu, H. (2019) Revenue Management and Pricing Analytics. Springer.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Autumn. Offered Autumn 2020.
Associate Professor Julio C. Goez, Department of Business and Management Science