ENE421 Energy and Resource Industries
Autumn 2023Spring 2023
The course consists of a combination of lectures and guest lectures given by people from the natural resource and energy industry. Examples of companies that regularly give lectures in this course are Statkraft, Equinor, Nord Pool, Nasdaq, Rystad Energy, Lerøy Seafood, Kinect Energy to mention some. Among the topics that are taught can be mentioned:
- Resource management
- Certificates of origin for electricity
- Fisheries and aquaculture
- Financial and physical markets for electricity
- Market analysis and energy portfolio management
- Environmental issues in power production
- Company strategy
- Financial markets
- Risk analysis
- Climate regulation and carbon trading
- Class discussion on the topics above and their common factor
After completing the course the students are able to understand theories and models that are actually used in real-world companies within the aquaculture sector, physical and financial market places for electricity, brokerage firms for energy, companies in derivative markets, the fishing sector, the green certificate market and the petroleum sector.
After completing the course the students are able to apply models and methods that stem from real world companies within the ENE sector and which are used for
- Market analysis
- Risk management
- Environmental evaluation
- Sustainability analysis and rating
- Analysis and action in derivative markets
- Strategic decisions
- Management of renewable resources
- Quota trading of CO2
After completing the course the students are able to
- plan and perform projects related to various topics listed above.
- convey the results of such projects for their peers as well as their clients and third parties.
- discuss and solve problems related to the issues above either individually or in groups
Lectures twice a week; class discussions.
Credit reduction due to overlap
One or two compulsory assignments during the course. Presence at lectures.
Individual home exam (100%). Duration 3 days, from 09:00 on day 1 until 14:00 on day 3.
A - F.
To be announced later.
Lecture notes and other material published on Canvas.
A list of recommended readings (books, articles and journals) will be available on Canvas.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Autumn. Will be offered Autumn 2023.
Professor Stein Ivar Steinshamn, Department of Business and Management Science