Admission to the PhD programme
The application deadline for the main admission is 15 January.
- Master of Science (MSc) or comparable degree relevant for your specialisation (e.g. MSc in Economics and Business Administration, Social Sciences, Psychology, Philosophy, Mathematics, Engineering, Industry, Management, Law). Applicants must normally have completed a 5-year master’s degree programme.
- Minimum B (4) in Grade Point Average (GPA), five-point scale (A=five, B=four, C=three, D=two, E=one).
- Minimum B (4) on your master thesis.
An adequate level of academic and English language proficiency. This may require specific documentation by proficiency tests.
Please note that you will need to upload electronically the following documentation with your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We kindly ask you to upload the documents separate files, not combined in one single file.
- Certificate of a Master of Science degree or equivalent including transcripts of grades.
- Certificate of a Bachelor degree or equivalent including transcripts of grades.
- Other relevant certificates or transcripts (e.g. courses completed at the PhD level).
- If the issuing authority of grades and degrees does not use the ECTS grading scale, please include an official description of the applied grading scale system.
- Statement of purpose describing your motivation for applying this position (250-300 words).
- Tentative research proposal (2000-4000 words). A summary of your planned research project must describe the aims, objectives, research questions, and elaborate on your motivation for pursuing the proposed area of research. Please note that your research project is tentative and often needs adjustments after acceptance into the programme
- Curriculum vitae.
- List of publications and /or other documented research activities.
- Contact details of two referees.
- A letter of recommendation may strengthen your application, but is normally not mandatory. Please read the specific job announcement. The referees should send their letters of recommendation to email@example.com before the application deadline.
About Proficiency Tests (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS)
About Proficiency Tests (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS)
Some of the PhD specialisations may require documentation of an adequate level of academic and English language proficiency. It will be specified in the announcement. Below you will find specific information on access codes for the tests GMAT, GRE, TOEFL and IELTS and the minimum scores that we normally require.
NHH handles your records confidentially.
Am I waived from proficiency tests?GMAT/GRE: You are waived from the GMAT/GRE tests if you hold a qualifying master’s degree from a Nordic school.TOEFL/IELTS: You are waived from TOEFL/IELTS if you are a native English speaker, have a qualifying Master’s degree from a Nordic school or you have a qualifying Master’s degree where the language of tuition was English.
The codes for NHH are as follows:GMAT 7KZ-01GRE 0686TOEFL 0686IELTS For IELTS we accept copies as long as the TRF number is visible.
GMAT AND GRE TESTING
The GMAT and GRE tests measure your academic level in terms of quantitative and verbal reasoning.
On your request, the test centre will submit your test scores electronically to NHH. Please remember to indicate the NHH’s access code. If you have not yet taken the test at the time of application, please indicate an expected test date.
GMAT test minimum score: 600 points
Quantitative Reasoning minimum score: 152 points (old scale: 660 points)
Verbal reasoning minimum score: 153 points (old scale: 500 points)
TOEFL AND IELTS TESTING
The TOEFL and IELTS tests measure your level of proficiency in English language at university level.
On your request, the test centre will submit your test scores electronically to NHH. Please remember to indicate the NHH’s access code. If you have not yet taken the test at the time of application, please indicate an expected test date. Your TOEFL/IELTS test scores are valid for two years.
Written test minimum score: 575 points
Computer-based test minimum score: 233 points
Internet based test minimum score: 90 points
IELTS test minimum score: 6,5 points
The application submission will be confirmed by email shortly after the submission deadline with further information on the process and the approximate timeline.
During this period, selected candidates will be contacted by the relevant department and invited to an interview in person or through Skype.
We may also ask for your consent to an evaluation of your educational background by NOKUT (the Norwegian Agency of Quality Assurance in Education). The purpose of such an evaluation is to define the equivalent degrees, grades, study points etc. in the Norwegian education system.
All applicants will receive an email from the Office of Human Resources (HR) once the admission is finalised.
If you have any questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.