MET1 Mathematics for Economists
- Functions of one variable: Exponential functions and logarithms, differentiation, convexity, elasticities, implicit differentiation, integration.
- Geometric series, present value computations.
- Functions of several variables: Partial derivatives, differentiation, optimizing with and without constraints.
- The student masters fundamental concepts and methods in mathematics with a view towards applications in economic and administrative subjects
- The student is familiar with some standard models for economic situations, in particular in connection with optimization problems
- The student is able to define simple mathematical models and to treat them analytically and numerically
- The student is capable of reading and acquiring economic theory with a certain mathematical level and content
Lectures (which are recorded), 10 group exercises (2 hours each), one mandatory and one voluntary assignment.
It will be possible to follow the course digitally.
Matematikk R1 or Matematikk S1+S2 or equivalent.
Credit reduction due to overlap
Corresponds to MET020
Requirements for course approval
Two multiple choice tests and one individual assignment.
4 hour written school exam
A - F
O. Dovland og P. Pettersen: Matematikk for økonomistudenter, 3rd edition, Fagbokforlaget, 2019
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Autumn. Offered Autumn 2021.
Written school exam is offered both semesters (according to Regulations for Full-time Study Programmes at the Norwegian School of Economics (NHH), section 3-1).
Associate Professor Per Manne, Department of Business and Management Science.