MBM435 International Marketing
The essence of marketing is to facilitate exchanges of money, products and/or services. Thus, international marketing requires an interaction between firms and people of different nationalities and cultures. We see a dramatic shift in the world economy: doing business is more and more a question of identifying business opportunities internationally and not only in the domestic market of companies. Hence, companies need to be able to identify attractive business opportunities in international markets, define relevant strategies and value chain structures for competing in targeted markets, and be able to implement defined strategies. As international business is done across different cultures, institutional environments and socioeconomic conditions, international marketing decision makers also need to be aware of potential ethical conflicts related to their operations.
Global marketing and the firm
International opportunity assessment
Foreign market entry / Internationalization
The "4Ps" of international marketing
Organization and control of the global marketing programme
Global marketing strategy
The role of culture & ethics in a global context
The goal is to acquaint the students with opportunities, problems and analytical skills in the International Marketing domain.
Knowledge - the candidate...
- has advanced knowledge within international marketing
- has thorough knowledge of the scholarly theories and methods in international marketing
- can apply knowledge to decision problems within international marketing
- can analyze academic problems within international marketing, such as critically assess the usefulness of different theories and models relative to specific decision problems within the field
Skills - The candidate...
- can analyze and deal critically with various sources of information and use them to structure and formulate alternative courses of action for international marketing firms
- can analyze existing theories, methods and interpretations in the field and work independently on practical and theoretical problems
- can carry out an independent, limited research or development project under supervision and in accordance with applicable norms for research ethics
Competence - The candidate...
- can identify and analyze relevant academic, professional and research ethical problems
- can identify and analyze specific strategic and business challenges and opportunities of relevance for international marketing firms
- can apply his/her knowledge and skills in new areas in order to carry out advanced assignments and projects
- can communicate extensive independent work and masters language and terminology of the academic field
The course work will consist of lectures, case presentations, a term paper and a final exam. In the autumn semester we will return to physical lectures, there will be no recording.
Credit reduction due to overlap
Replaces INB423 with 100 % overlap. This is the same course only with a new course code. All rights follow the course, not the course code.
Attendance and active participation in class discussions are strongly encouraged.
Students are required to submit and present their group case assignment on the date and time allocated for their group.
Four hour individual home exam (50%) based on lectures, text and assigned articles and a written group term paper (4 students per group) (50%), written in english.
Information on the term paper is made available at the beginning of the semester.
A - F
* Hollensen, Svend (2020), Global Marketing (8th Edition), Pearson Education Limited [Paperback]
* Selected cases and articles
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Autumn. Offered Autumn 2022
Professor Aksel Rokkan, Department of Strategy and Management