ENG10 English for Business I
English for Business I is the first course of English as an elective subject. It provides a good basis for communicating effectively in professional settings where the common language is English. The foucs is on terminology and professional communication. The course is closely related to other courses in the NHH bachelor programme and is tailor-made for those who wish to communicate business-related knowledge in English. The course consists of two main components: Business topics and Languageactivities. The Business topics comprise the following: The three sectors of the economy, Retailing, The business and its legal context, Mergers and acquisitions, and Management and cultural diversity. The Language activities comprise group presentations, cases, an elevator pitch and terminology tests.
Upon completion of the course the student
- can use basic English economic-administrative and legal terminology and phraseology relevant for Norwegian businesses/organisations, for internal as well as external communication purposes
- can use the English language system to produce short written documents used in business and public organisations
- has knowledge of basic topics within business and trade
- has knowledge of economic, political and cultural aspects of the UK and USA of special relevance to business and trade
- can give short presentations on economic-administrative topics
- can carry out meetings in English in an adequate manner
- can produce short written documents used in business and public organisations
- has basic insight into important principles for written and oral professional communication in English
The coronavirus situation will determine whether ENG10 is taught physically and/or digitally.
ENG10 focuses on interactive learning. Its two main components, Business topics and Language activities are closely linked. The teaching language is of course English, but Norwegian is used to develop terminology and conceptual understanding in both languages. ENG10 therefore presupposes a good command of the Norwegian language. To be accepted as an English elective subject, both English I and II need to be completed. The completion of English for Business I is a requirement to proceed to English for Business II.
ENG10 requires a good command of the Norwegian language.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Autumn. Offered autumn 2021.
Claudia Förster Hegrenæs (main responsible), Gisle Andersen, Anne Kari Bjørge and Trine Dahl, Department of Professional and Intercultural Communication