ENG10 English for Business I
English for Business I is the first course of English as an elective subject. It provides a good basis for communicating effectively in professional settings where the common language is English. The foucs is on terminology and professional communication. The course is closely related to other courses in the NHH bachelor programme and is tailor-made for those who wish to communicate business-related knowledge in English. The course consists of two main components: Business topics and Activities. The Business topics comprise the following: The three sectors of the economy, Retailing, The business and its legal context, Mergers and acquisitions, and Management and cultural diversity. The Activities comprise group and individual presentation, case, elevator pitch and business meeting.
Upon completion of the course the student
- can use basic English economic-administrative and legal terminology and phraseology relevant for Norwegian businesses/organisations, for internal as well as external communication purposes
- can use the English language system to produce short written documents used in business and public organisations
- has knowledge of basic topics within business and trade
- has knowledge of economic, political and cultural aspects of the UK and USA of special relevance to business and trade
- can give short presentations on economic-administrative topics
- can carry out meetings in English in an adequate manner
- can produce short written documents used in business and public organisations
- has basic insight into important principles for written and oral professional communication in English
ENG10 focuses on interactive learning. Its two main components, Business topics and Activities are closely linked. A business topic is introduced in a lecture and/or a video, and developed further in oral and written activities. Some of the activities will be web-based, while other activities will be organised on an individual or group basis in class. The teaching language is of course English, but Norwegian is used to develop terminology and conceptual understanding in both languages. ENG10 therefore presupposes a good command of the Norwegian language. To be accepted as an English elective subject, both English I and II need to be completed. The completion of English for Business I is a requirement to proceed to English for Business II.
ENG10 requires a good command of the Norwegian language.
- ECTS Credits
Autumn. Offered autumn 2020.
Gisle Andersen, Anne Kari Bjørge, Trine Dahl and Claudia Förster Hegrenæs, Department of Professional and Intercultural Communication