New Business Development
Technological advancements and globalisation challenge organisations, industries and national economies needs to be on constant alert to explore, develop and exploit new business opportunities.
New Business Development will be offered as a major from autumn 2018. Students already in the master’s programme are welcome to prepare for the major by selecting courses from the major course list in the spring semester of 2018.
This requires an understanding of processes in innovation and entrepreneurship in all stages of new business development.
A major in New Business Development will educate future managers and entrepreneurs who can address these challenges by providing the innovative products and services consumers want, the jobs people need, and the economic growth required to support the society.
This allows them to assist small businesses to become medium sized business, and medium sized businesses to become large.
The New Business Development programme draws on the expertise of NHH on commercialization, finance, financial management, international business, strategy, human resources, and economics.
These competences are needed, and often lacking, in growth-oriented new business development initiatives. Thus, the subject area is highly interdisciplinary, but covers the following overarching themes:
- The dynamics of innovation and entrepreneurship in start-ups and established corporations.
- The identification, conceptualization and implementation of new business opportunities.
- Managing and scaling up of these new business opportunities.
- has academic knowledge to understand the complex processes and dynamics of new business development.
- has research-based knowledge on challenges associated with mobilising resources, scaling up and growth of ventures.
- has research-based knowledge to reflect critically on theories and research on new business development.
- can carry out an independent, limited research or new business development project under supervision.
- can apply existing theories, methods and interpretations to specify new business development projects.
- can assess the commercial viability of new business opportunities.
General competence outcomes
- can contribute to new thinking and innovation processes by communicating new business ideas and projects to different audiences.
- can mobilise resources for new business development projects.
- can collaborate and co-create in collaborative teams partnerships.
All New Business Development major student must choose three compulsory courses - giving 22.5 ECTS points.
First, all NBD major students must take the NBD406 Innovation & Entrepreneurship, which educates the students to understand the phenomenon and the role of innovation and entrepreneurship in the development of firms, industries and nations.
Second, the students have to take the NBD405 NBD in practice course were students get involved in the process of new business development by working on a real-life business case, either for an established business or a newly established venture.
Third, the students can choose between two established method courses to fulfil the compulsory course requirement. Either STR402a Methodology for Master Thesis or MBM400A Research on Brand Decisions.
To complete an NBD profile, the students have to complement the 3 obligatory courses with a total of 22.5 ECTs in electives. Currently we offer 12 courses. More courses are currently being developed.
Innovation School route
Candidates that follow the Innovation School programme have the opportunity to replace the compulsory NBD in Practice (7.5 ECTS) and the required selection of NBD electives (22.5 ECTS). This means that in order to obtain an NBD major profile, the students have to follow the NBD406 Innovation and Strategic Entrepreneurship and one of the compulsory methodology courses, in addition to the Innovation School.
Candidates cannot combine a major in NBD with a minor in Innovation School or Gründerskolen.
Course list (from autumn 2018)
Utveksling, CEMS MIM, dobbelgrad, Innovation School m.m. Som NHH-student har du mange spennende muligheter til å få internasjonal erfaring i løpet av studiet.
Jobb og karriere
Jobb og karriere
Som siviløkonom fra NHH er du kvalifisert for en rekke jobber i mange ulike bransjer. Du har også et godt grunnlag for videre doktorgradsstudier. Undersøkelser viser at 75 prosent av studentene har jobb før de er ferdige med studiene.