Electronic exams at NHH
NHH uses WISEflow both for home assignments and for school exams.
School Exams in WISEflow
There are two options:
- FLOWlock: Suitable for essay based answers. The candidates write their exam answers in a text editor similar to Word. It also has an integrated drawing tool. In addition handwrittten fractions or models can be photographed using a webcam, and then included in the exam answer.
- FLOWmulti: This exam type allows for a combination of many different types of questions (multiple choice questions, fill in the blanks, text answers, images, video etc.), and also makes it easier for students to use fractions in their answers. You may read more about the available types of questions here. Candidates do not have access to the drawing tool or their web camera in this examination type. Using FLOWmulti also allows for fully or partially automated scoring and grading.
Try Something new?
NHH is continuously working with the other institutions that use WISEflow, and with the supplier, to improve and develop the exam system. For example, it will be a major and exciting step forward when we can offer candidates the opportunity to use third-party programs such as Excel, R or STATA in a closed exam situation.
In the meantime, we must make the most of the opportunities we already have, which for lecturers can also involve adapting exams to the technology that is currently at our disposal. In many subjects, it may be relevant to consider new exam forms rather than attempt to simply transfer the current exam form to a digital format. For example, digital written exams with open internet access and access to all available tools can be a relevant option for some subjects, and enable a more relevant test of achieved learning outcomes than is possible through paper-based exams. It is also possible to hold written exams where one part is closed and the next is open.
Do you have input or questions? Would you like to try something new for your course, or participate at a seminar to learn more? Feel free to contact Project Manager Marita Kristiansen to discuss the possibilities and limitations that exist.
Our exam system won the national competitive tender process that UNINETT coordinated on behalf of the higher education sector in the autumn of 2016.
WISEflow is a well-tried and quality-assured system, which by the end of 2017 had been used in more than 3,800 exams nationally by a total of more than 183,000 candidates. Approx. 137,000 of these candidates used FLOWlock. The rest used FLOWmulti.
Advantages for examiners
- No need to decipher handwriting
- No need to sign and scan examination records
- Immediate access to answers after an exam, no delays due to the postal service
- The grading can be done both online and offline with access to answers from several locations
- Possibility of commenting in the answers and sharing comments with other examiners and/or students.
- Easier to provide feedback and grade explanations to studens. May reduce the number of requests for grade explanations.
- Supports the use of rubrics
- Possibillity to create exams that are completely or partially auto-scored
- Possibility to automate grading based on achieved scores
- Shared plagiarism database with Canvas
ADVANTAGES FOR STUDENTS
- Exams can be better adapted to student life and future working life
- Easier to structure and complete answers
- Reduced need for special arrangements for exams
- Future possibility to implement assessment forms that are optimised for intended learning outcomes
- Improved security in relation to completion and distribution of exams. Fewer intermediaries and fewer manual processes
- Answers, grades, explanation of grades and appeals are handled in the same system
- The transition to paperless exams will free up both time and space
- Reduced postage, exam sheets and printing expenses