SAM19 The Economics of the Firm
Lectures will cover selected topics relevant to behaviour and performance. Each topic will be presented in 1-2 meetings. The following outlines the main topics of the course
- Multinationals and profitshifting
- Globalization and innovation
- Exporting firms
- Firms, wages and superstars
- Diversity in firms and firm performance
- Corporate Governance
- Labour demand
- Firm investment and financing constraints
- Pricing behaviour and mark-ups
The main input factors of a firm are capital, labour and technologies. Firms sell their products in the product markets to the consumers. This course will give the student knowledge about the operation of the firm in this setting from an empirical perspective.
After completing the course, students will:
- understand some of the economic drivers behind some important decisions that firms have to make using simple economic models
- be able to discuss possible plans for empirical analysis of the consequences of these firm decisions
- have knowledge about core topical questions on the firm from different perspectives, such as economics, finance, strategy and taxes.
- and how to address and answer this question empirically using simple methods.
- know how to read empirical results from descriptive statistics and regressions
- be acquainted with empirical evidence from Norwegian and international data
- have knowledge of relevant available data sources
- have an introduction to how to write an empirical paper, for the purpose of term papers or master thesis.
Plenary lectures, group discussions and classes.
Students are recommended to have completed MET4 Empirical Methods at NHH or a comparable course in introduction to statistics.
Requirements for course approval
- There are two written assignments during the semester. Students may hand in one or both, but at least one of the assignments must be approved in order to take the exam.
- Termpaper on a given topic (a list of topics students can choose from will be announced during the course).
Written school exam, 3 hours.
Grading scale A-F.
Articles and lecture notes. A list of articles will be provided at the start of the course.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Spring. Currently not offered
Skriftlig skoleeksamen avholdes hvert semester (jamfør Forskrift om fulltidsstudiene ved Norges Handelshøyskole, NHH, §3-1).
Ragnhild Balsvik, Astrid Kunze, Øivind Anti Nilsen, Department of Economics