MAR528 Marketing Topics: Marketing Thought and Theories (expired)
This course will give insight in the history and evolution of marketing theories, but will emphasize significant recent developments of marketing thought. We will address marketing both as a societal phenomenon and as a management function that governs practices within a firm aimed a delivering values to its customers and owners. For students who want to write their dissertation in marketing the course will facilitate the search for topics and theories for their dissertation work.
After the completion of the course, the students should be able to;
- Demonstrate an understanding of marketing foundations and implications for doing research.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of theoretical perspectives in marketing.
- Contribute to the development of new knowledge and better theories.
- Improve candidate's ability to formulate research problems and investigate them in a scholarly manner.
- Enable candidates to challenge established knowledge and practice in their fields of study.
- Improve the candidates ability to identify research issues and implications of different theoretical approaches and research practices.
- Discuss and raise questions about issues related to marketing theories.
Taught intensively over two different periods. Several professors in marketing will lecture within their field of specialization.
Written term paper
Many of the readings will be from Handbook of Marketing (Weitz and Wensley 2002), Handbook of Consumer Psychology (Haugtvedt, Herr and Kardes 2007) and journals such as Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Professor Sigurd V. Troye