FRA10 French Language for Economics
French economic language is the first course in the French elective. It provides a good basis for communicating effectively in professional contexts in French, both orally and in writing.
Upon completion of the course, the student has acquired the following:
- Knowledge of economic-administrative terminology and expressions that are relevant in professional contexts
- Knowledge of the French language system for producing short written documents common in business
- Ability to give short presentations based on economic-administrative topics
- Ability to express/argue for one's opinion in a work-related situation in an appropriate way
- Ability to use economic-administrative terminology and expressions that are relevant in professional contexts
- Ability to use the French language to produce written documents that are common in business, such as reports and e-mails
- Ability to communicate with French speakers both in social and professional contexts
This is a course where interactive learning is in focus. The course uses the "flipped classroom" method where the student prepares for a given topic before class. The class is interactive and is composed of group-based activities, group discussions, writing and review of assignments as well as student presentations. The course requires active participation along the way. The use of e-learning tools is integrated into the teaching.
The course is based on prior knowledge corresponding to French level II from the Curriculum in foreign languages, ie 3 years from upper secondary school and 2 years from upper secondary school, or 3 years from upper secondary school, or equivalent.
A set of online language exercises must be approved (on Canvas).
A portfolio composed of:
- 2 written assignments. Each written assignment must be submitted twice.
- 2 oral assignments
- 1 reflection protocol
The entire portfolio must be submitted in the same semester. If repeated, the entire portfolio must be taken again. Since the form of assessment in this course is a portfolio evaluation where both oral and written elements are included, it is not verifiable and will not be subject to appeal.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Spring. Offered spring 2023.