ELE430 Business Model Innovation for Entrepreneurs
The objective of this course is to provide you with the tools and theories to create a business/career that allows you to follow your passion, provide value to the world and make money at the same time.
We start by drawing on the Japanese concept of Ikigai, helping you to identify your passion and purpose in life. We discuss methods that allow you "to get better in life", increase your productivity, establish healthy routines and spur creativity. Once you got a good grasp at "how to manage yourself", we move on to turning your values and goals into a feasible business model.
We learn about different business model innovations that can help you to realize your goals. Think about it, what do Amazon, Uber, Airbnb and Netflix have in common? These companies did not invent a new technology or a new product. Instead, they built their success in designing an innovative business model by building a strong and convincing value proposition and finding smart ways to monetize this value.
As an entrepreneur, how can you build a business that creates social as well as commercial value, allows you to make a profit while fulfilling your purpose in life? In order to answer these questions, we need to develop a good understanding of the nexus between business models, entrepreneurship, sustainability and (social) innovation - and how to apply it in practice.
Upon completing this course, you will have gained
- The most recent research & trends in the field of business model innovation (e.g., the sharing economy, disruptive innovation, digitalization, social entrepreneurship)
- How to design a business model from scratch and how to integrate (social or commercial) value creation into the business model
You will gain skills in
- Setting up your own start-up
- Increasing your own productivity, establishing healthy routines and creativity
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses in business models of existing companies/start-ups and propose solutions
You will gain general competence in
- advanced research ability, problem-solving and critical (self-)reflection
- plan and execute project work in an international team
- communicate findings of the project in a clear and engaging manner
The course will consist of a combination of lectures, team presentations, guest lectures and case discussions.
Students will be expected to be prepared for, and be active, in class discussions, including team presentations, assignments and discussion of case material.
Credit reduction due to overlap
Students who have taken NBD407 Business Model Innovation will not be able to get credit for ELE430 Business Model Innovation for Entrepreneurs
Group term paper (groups of 3-4 students).
Students will receive information on the group term paper on the first day of the course and it is to be submitted electronically in WISEflow on 5 July 2019. The students have approximately 3 weeks to complete the term paper.
Grading scale = A-F
All course information will be made available in NHH's online teaching platform, Canvas.
The reading list includes a collection of articles and cases that will be made available online for the students to download.
- ECTS Credits
- Teaching language
Offered Spring 2019 / Summer School 2019
17-28 June 2019
Associate Professor Tina Saebi, Department of Strategy and Management